Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Look at the whole picture

I have seen the same bumper sticker at work for the last few weeks and it makes me think every time I read it.  It says:  "Believing bulls*** will not make it come true."  The statement itself is true, but the attitude is all wrong because it casts the concept of believe in a negative light.  I submit that this is a foolish attitude despite the truth of the words.

It reminded me of the opposite position.  I had a writing professor in college who made an analogy to an ostrich. He said, "Don't just hide your head in the sand or someone is going to come along and kick you in the butt and it will break your neck."  After I finished laughing at the visual imagery (think Road Runner and the Coyote), the principle really set in: ignoring the truth won't make it go away.  Thus, another foolish attitude on the other end of the spectrum.

Let's be reasonable people.  Extreme positions on any issue are foolish and end up making everyone look silly.  Temperance in all things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

True, true.