Thursday, September 08, 2011

Perfectionism is Unhealthy

I saw an article online today about a talk Cecil O. Samuelson gave at a BYU devotional. In it, he says, "(Perfectionism) is corrosive and destructive and is the antithesis of the healthy quest for eventual perfection that the Savior prescribes."

This is so true for me.  We've recently refinished a few rooms in our home to make proper space for the new baby.  I have shirked away from the work not because I was lazy or too busy.  I shirked it because I was afraid that the end product would not meet Julie's expectations--or worse--that it wouldn't meet my expectations.

Now that all the work is done, I see flaws all over the place.  However, there is also a great deal of satisfaction in knowing that I did it.  In retrospect, I think it would have been cheaper to have a pro come and do it for us...but it was a good experience for me...to seek and not achieve perfection.

No comments: