Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Mr. Independent

This morning I was lucky to be able to sleep in a bit. Usually I am awakened by my two children screaming. When I woke up, I could hear that someone was up but they were being very quiet. I thought, "How nice, they finally listened and are being quiet until everyone is up." But then my thoughts quickly turned to, "Oh no, it's too quiet. I wonder what mess my children have created." That was enough to get me out of bed.

As I left my room, Megan's door was closed which meant she was still in bed. I continued going towards the tiny bit of noise in the kitchen. I walked down enough stairs to see what was going on in my kitchen. What did I see? There was Daniel making himself breakfast.

Apparently all the Ego's that were in the inside freezer were all gone. He had gone outside, unlocked the freezer, got the Ego box off the top shelf, got out a package of Ego's, and locked the freezer. Then when he got inside, the package had to be opened. I'm not sure how long it took him to get the packag opened, but I don't think the poor package deserved that kind of treatment. He then put his Ego's in the toaster, got them toasted, got them on a plate, covered them in syrup, and was proceeding to cut his Ego's. That was when I entered the room.

He then told me, in the most proud way that I think a 4-year can, that he made breakfast all by himself. After which he told me he couldn't get the box back in the freezer.

I think it's great that he is doing all these things by himself. Maybe I've discouraged it a bit, not because I don't think he can do it, but because I know Megan can't do all that by herself without making one huge mess. And Megan's thinking is, "if Daniel can do it, why not me?" I'm glad that Megan was still in bed and doesn't know that he did this all by himself.

Daniel has always been a good helper. There have been times that they wanted breakfast before I got up and Daniel has been able to pour each of them a bowl of cereal with some milk.

It's fun to watch the kids grow up and learn how to do some of their own things.

No comments: